27 March 2023

Equality and Diversity handover

During my PDR, my line manager had floated some suggestions about tasks I could take onto myself. And it had been decided I would be the SOS Academic Integrity Officer, and the SOS Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity lead. I had to take that first task over from Jaco, and he wasn’t wasting time; a few days later we had a handover and my task started. (And how it did!) It didn't quite work out that way with the second task.

By the time I finally found an opportunity to sit together with Katrien and go through what my tasks actually were, it was late March. It has finally happened! 

I had already seconded her during an induction talk. We were supposed to induce two people at the same time, but one couldn't make it. So now that I have had the handover, I need to do that. I agreed on Friday afternoon I will do it on Monday morning. I will have to dive pretty deep into the paperwork first thing Monday morning to carry this off! But it looks like my task has started!

The biggest task ahead, though, is not inductions; it will be the upcoming application for an Athena Swan award. SOS has a bronze award. Ideally, that would mean we could now apply for a silver award. The problem is; you need to have made progress in order to be successful with that. And that has been limited! Furthermore; the demands have changed a lot. There seems to be a mismatch between the action plan you were expected to make for the previous application, and the demands for the current around. We might very well have to reapply for a bronze. I will soon try to book a meeting with a lady from HR. And then everything will become a lot clearer.

It's taken a while, but from now on I can really get working with this. There is a lot of work to do! Wish me luck…

No comments: