29 September 2024

Thursday Night Hills: asphalt edition

It seems that in winter, the Thursday night hill training stays on the road. And I was going to experience that for the first time. The group had done one of those sessions this season already, but that had been in the week where I was giving my IT bands a break

The weather forecast was rubbish. But I went anyway. I made sure I had warmer clothes than normal, and I also carried a big head torch. The week before I had gone with a small one, but I had regretted that. And there was a surprisingly big group convening.

It seems that there is a fixed route for this sort of thing. Many runners clearly already knew. We first headed towards the zigzags, I suppose as a means of warming up, is that it is entirely flat. But then we headed up the road that leads to the Llanberis Path. That is very steep in places! But the landscape is beautiful. And it still was quite light.

Great views after all

Then we went up the next road up the hills. That's the one that goes past the waterfall; we take that one quite often, but normally we then go through a gate and into the fields. Not this time.

We also did the road to the youth hostel. And basically all other roads. Altogether we ran for some hour and a half, and covered some 12 km with 450 m of ascent. It Not bad! And on the second hill I put my head torch on. It was getting a bit dark. And by the time we finished it was completely dark.

This was nicer than I imagined. In the beginning you really still do get to see the beautiful landscapes. And after that, at least you're running with nice people. And it sometimes seems to be very beautiful if it is a clear night. So I'm okay with going on like that. Next week again!

No comments: