27 September 2024

Return to Stokesay Castle

With Jitske I had walked past a stunning medieval castle: Stokesay Castle. We would have loved to have a closer look, but it was closed at the time. And when I peeled off from her hike, I was picked up by a bloke I had been on two dates with, who happened to live around there. So when we were thinking of another date after the one featuring the Gladstone 9, I suggested we do the next one in Shropshire, and go back to the castle. And he liked the idea! 

We convened at his house. So I’ve seen that too now. And I even met his youngest son, who happened to be home. He was very welcoming. 

When we got to the castle it was a rather damp day. But we were already impressed before we even got close. And we were even more impressed when we walked in. We started in the main hall. What a place! And from there we explored all nooks and crannies accessible to the public. We had a blast. We both have a big weak spot for history. And we finished off with a moat walk. There were apples trees in it! 

Castle with South Tower

Main Hall

The gatehouse seen from the caste

An interior shot

Then it was lunchtime and we retreated to Clun (the village) for something to eat. Initially we had intended to also fit in a swim in the river Clun but we ran out of time. I still had a 2 hour drive back home to do! 

The castle had been amazing. And the date with Nick had been pretty good too. So there’ll be another one. Stay tuned…

No comments: