12 September 2024

Annual (?) hedge trim (+ extra)

 I always intend to trim the hedge annually. It doesn’t always happen. This year I was going to have a go at it, and went to fetch my working platform from the garage. The hedge is some 3 m tall so there is no way I can do it standing on the ground. And even with the extra height of the working platform I struggle.

There was an extra complication; fetching the platform involved coming through the garden gate, and I noticed it was broken. So I needed to fix that first. It must be quite old; there were several screws in there that were so rusty they had to lost all ability to hold the various pieces of wood together. These have been replaced now! But there might be more in there that are about to give.

Gate repair

When I got into the garden, there was another unexpected circumstance, but that was a good one. My neighbour offered me his stepladder instead of my working platform. That gives you a lot more height! So I accepted that. And that made the work quite light.

Starting the work (noticed the unused platform on the right)

Even with the very tall step ladder (this is not your average ladder) I couldn't do the top of the hedge. I estimate it is about a meter and a half in width, and getting 3 m up and then three quarters of a meter sideways is a bit of an ask. So it has a slightly comic look, with everything being quite tidy from the sides, but all sorts of crazy branches sticking out at the top. Oh well! We've done our best.

Finished! 

I'm glad I've got this done before term started! And the bonus repair of the gate. It probably wouldn't have happened at all this year if I wouldn't have managed to do it now…


No comments: