11 September 2024

Finally cutting some firewood

The pile of potential firewood had been accumulating in my garage for months! Most of that was from Neuadd Ogwen. And I needed to process it first. The wood I had got from them recently had been a platform, and it involves a lot of bits of wood nailed together. I would first have to pry these apart and get the nails out. Not as much work as taking pallets apart! But still a considerable amount of work.

Uncut firewood left and right

One weekend after the other passed when I didn't get around to doing anything with this wood. Then there was a weekend in which I managed it remove pretty much all the nails. That was good! As the next step is the cutting, and since my mitre saw, that is very quick.

This weekend I decided it was time. I brought electricity to my saw and set to work. I am always a bit hesitant; when I have big pieces of wood I always wonder if I should leave them intact. What if I need big pieces of wood for some project or other? For instance; the wooden stairs into the garden are disintegrating. I should have it replaced in the not too distant future, but maybe I should just replace the worst step myself to keep it functional before the big upgrade? I always think things like that. And I rarely need big pieces of wood for projects.

That same weekend I was also doing lots of other things, so it's not as if all the uncut firewood is now gone. Especially not given that it obviously is not only a time constraint. But a start it has been made! And my woodpile is considerably bigger now. And fitting in a little firewood session to continue this work shouldn't be too much of an ask. It has been set in motion! And soon it will be fire season again, and then I certainly will have a lot more external motivation…

Less wood on the right, more on the left in the rack! 


No comments: