06 September 2023

To the Netherlands by train: review

It was only the second time I went to the Netherlands by train. The previous time I had tried the ferry from Hull. What did I think?

I had been a bit nervous. I was travelling by Interrail this time. And I remembered the stress of the way back, even on a regular ticket: the luggage and passport checks in Brussels, in spite of the Eurostar journey planner never giving you much time there. The website doesn’t make it easy to have a bit of a margin! And that means hurry and sweat and stress. 

To my relief, the way to the Netherlands went absolutely flawlessly. The previous time as well. It was long; I left home 6:50 and got to my mum at about 20:00 (local time), so about 12 hours door to door. And now the proof of the pudding; the way back. 

To Amsterdam went well, and to Brussels too. Although we had some 10 minutes of delay. I only had 50 minutes in Brussels in total! But I got to the right part of the railway station quite quickly. And then the fun began. 

The ticket gates didn’t recognise my seat reservation. A lady dealing with the rejects diagnosed that this part of the trip wasn’t properly linked to my Interrail pass. But she let me pass to luggage check, and then passport control. There all went well. In the queue for the right platform I tried to link the leg of the journey to the digital pass. I didn’t think it quite went well. But at the door I only needed my seat reservation. I was in! 

We got toLondon without issues. In the heat (summer was unexpectedly back) I walked to Euston Station. I had booked a train leaving at 15:13, but could take one at 14:33! Bonus. And I had a seat. 

I got out in Crewe. There my train was cancelled, so I had to take another one, fortunately only 23 minutes later, but which was obviously very crowded. It was hot and uncomfortable. But at least this train would go to Bangor without a need for further changes. And after Chester I found a seat. 

View from the train (near Colwyn Bay)

I felt very smelly and sticky when I reached Bangor! But I got there at 18:19, instead of the expected 19:37. Excellent! And I could just drive home. I got there 18:45. So altogether just under 12 hours door to door. And I still had food and drink left when I got there! 

So what next time? Maybe the train again. Cleaner than the boat. And quicker. And not too onerous this time! But not on an Interrail ticket again…

No comments: