01 September 2023

Caulk the extension

I really love sitting in the extension when the rain is absolutely hammering it. The sound is very loud on the plastic roof, and with all the glass around, the rain is all around you, but you're a snug and dry. Or at least, that is the idea. Several years ago I had seen for the first time that in heavy rainfall, sometimes the water comes underneath the conservatory wall. And that's not how it should be! You don't want a wooden table, however improvised, standing in a puddle of water. And the paint with which the floor is painted is a lot less moisture-tolerant than I hoped it would be. 

I decided I probably should caulk the seam. And I put that on my to do list. And then left it there. For years. I was wondering if the caulk I had would actually have totally solidified, and would be unusable by now. But I suppose there is only one way to find out!

On the August bank holiday Monday I put it to the test! And my caulk was still working. Finally, finally, I have actually done the job. I have no idea if this will actually solve the problem, but it was a reasonable attempt. And soon it will be autumn; I am sure we will have plenty of torrential rainfall to test it out. I hope the conservatory floor will stay dry now! If it stays dry the entire autumn then I will declare this is success. But I already feel good about having finally got this chore out of the way!

Before

After


No comments: