21 September 2023

Cheese tasting evening

When I was in the Netherlands, I visited the cheese shop. My Dutch cheese had almost run out! And when I was there, I sent a picture of the shop to my friends. And one thing led to another. One of them suggested it cheese tasting evening. That sounds like an excellent idea! So soon we had a date in the diary: the last day of the field trip.

In practice, it became the first day after the field trip, as we could round off a day early. That suited me fine. It was a fair amount of preparation, and I also wanted to phone my mum who had her birthday that day! And go for a run. And when my friends arrived, the house was presentable (I think), and the cheese was cut up and beautifully displayed, with all accoutrements. And the soup, that I had in mind to make it a full meal, was almost ready. Success!

I had mature cheese, cheese with holes, farmer’s cheese and goat’s cheese. And I had added a small plate of local sheep cheese just because I could. Martin had brought a bottle of red wine to complete the scene. 

The cheeses were all appreciated! I think I sensed a vague preference for the Friesian cheese with holes: Tynjedaler.

Tynjedaler

The cat also made an appearance. Quite unlike my previous cat, she isn't particularly interested in cheese. That made preparations quite relaxed! But now she provided excellent entertainment.

After the same fieldwork two years ago, when I had organised it, we went to drink beer at Martin's. I really needed that. This time I hadn't organised the field trip, so I didn't pathologically need some alcohol and friends to wind down, so this time it was less urgently needed, but it was even more enjoyable!




No comments: