The ceiling beams in my landing had all sorts of extra bits of wood nailed to them. No idea why! But as all that is now visible, it had to go. So I got onto my step ladder one Satuday and had a go. These Victorians do rather good nails! As in, they stay put really well. They do tend to get a bit brittle, though, in my experience. I pulled most of the bent-over bits off! But with sufficient violence you can then prise the bit of wood over the remains of the nail. I managed to get it all off! More firewood, I presume. And the ceiling is one step closer to being finished!
On this stretch of beam you can just see the ghosts of three unneccessary wood bits
One piece was nailed against the planks, not the beams
This blog started as a tool to keep my Dutch friends informed on my whereabouts when I moved abroad. It quickly also became an external memory for my own use. It largely failed as a stage for discussions on whatever is worth discussing. And it has become a way of sharing my scientific knowledge with a lay audience. And who knows, it could become even more! And whatever it is you are looking for among all this: welcome.