I tell the students in spring they can propose their own dissertation topic, and I add that it is a bit of work. I recommend them to start early if they want to take up this offer. Once term starts, they get busy with other things.
I never have much uptake before term starts. But as soon as it does start, the tidal wave comes crashing down. I got the first one in August this year, and a few more came in before the fieldwork started. I had five students giving it a go; two of them of students on the field trip.
On the first day of term, I deliver an introductory lecture to the dissertation students, and then it really kicks off. I am getting so many proposals now. Twenty two students have added themselves to the initial five. And that is a big burden! Especially if you have to be in court all the time.
I try to get through some of them before I set off in the morning, and I brought a stack of proposals to my first court days. I often send some emails out in the lunch break, or even the short coffee breaks. And then I do a bit more after I get home. And I also have to deal with other work. Write a lecture I have to deliver Monday morning 9AM on the morning after my jury period. Get the exams ready. Prepare tutorials. And more stuff like that.
![]() |
| A thresher shark (pic by Pierre Pericard), which features in one of the proposals |
I do like seeing what the students come up with, and seeing several projects making their way to approval is satisfying, but given the circumstances (what with the jury duty) I wish this option was less popular. And the students still have a week to come up with new proposals, and an additional week to get them over the line. I will be glad when that threshold is reached!
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment