Coming to court is different if you have good reason to believe you will actually be expected to do something. And I also came in company this time. I picked my fellow juror up, and we arrived fairly early. I got me a coffee and did a little bit of work before we were called in.
This day, the main thing was questioning the defendant. And going through some juror documents, prepared by the prosecution and the defence. That took us all the way to the lunch break. In spite of what the weather forecast had said, it was another sunny afternoon, and this time I found a little bench not too far away. It was nice to have lunch there. And then I did a little walk through town. Caernarfon is quite beautiful!
![]() |
| My lunch spot |
After lunch, the only things that were still scheduled for in the courtroom were closing statements of the two barristers, and juror instructions from the judge. These were case specific. It all took longer than I thought. I expected us to be sent home when all of that was done, but that was not how it went. We were sent into a deliberation room to start, well, the deliberation. The usher took our smart watches and telephones away, and any other communication devices.
We weren't quite sure where to start. But we started somewhere. And made some progress until the usher came in to tell us it was time to stop, and go home.
He told us to really really not forget to bring a packed lunch the next day. We would go straight into the deliberation room, and were basically not supposed to come out until we had our verdict. Mind that these deliberation rooms do come with toilets, and coffee/tea facilities.
We all went home. I figured we all felt the responsibility on our shoulders to come to a sound judgement the next day. Stay tuned to hear how this will end!


No comments:
Post a Comment