04 October 2026

Getting ready for the jury service

I had one week of term to get everything as ready for my potential two week absence as I could. I should have mainly been teaching on two modules in that period; for one of them, I basically got all my lecturing out of the way in that first week. I don't have a heavy teaching load in it. 

For my other module, I had to do some crisis management. This is a module of which we have changed the title, as its content had moved more into a climate direction, so we added that to the title. An innocent-looking email from a student lead me to finding out that student administration had accidentally assigned 2/3 of the students to the old version of the module, which we obviously don't run anymore. Oops. 

I will be quite busy on that module after my jury service, as a fair amount of work has been postponed, but I made sure that at least the students are ready for the upcoming field trip. It really depends on how long the court needs me, whether I can actually join myself or not. I hope I can! But I need to be ready to accept it if I can't.

I was also quite busy with student proposals for their own dissertation topics. I will have to keep that going in the evening, I suppose, is the deadline for proposals hasn't been reached yet.

Another thing I did was mark the student notebooks of the field trip we did a few weeks before. We don't do much marking of actual physical paper these days, and it provides complications. There are four members of staff who have to mark these (sometimes it's five, but not this year), and we have four weeks to do it all. You think that that means we all get a week, but that's not how it tends to work. Martin tends to keep them at least for a week unseen in his office. When I got them, more than 1.5 weeks had already passed. I hope the others will manage to do their part of the marking in the remaining two weeks!

Altogether a busy week. But I am satisfied with it. And then on Monday, I will get a better idea of how my next two weeks look…


No comments: