15 October 2024

More old buildings with Nick

We had just seen each other the previous weekend but that’s not a reason to not do it again the week after. And Nick had come up with an abbey to go and see. That sounded fab. 

I decided to come by train. Better for the environment, and I could use my time for something useful. I packed the book we use for teaching the students about the geology of Anglesey, and the course materials of my Welsh class (I had missed a class for reasons of a cave rescue committee meeting). And a novel. And I of course had my phone. 

The train journey went well! And Nick picked me up from the station. I had brought cake as I had been practicing for the cake competition. We had that first. And then we dropped off his son and headed for the abbey. 

It was Haughmond Abbey, and it was gorgeous! The church was no more than foundations, but other buildings, like the chapter house and the Abbot’s Hall, were in much better nick. 

Approaching the abbey

Eclectic stone masonry 

Ruins under blue sky 

Happy visitors

When we had seen it all we tagged on Moreton Corbet castle, as that was nearby. That was beautiful too! 

This must have been grand

After that we went home. We had a little walk to see if we could spot traces of a military camp (Roman, in all likelihood) that I had spotted on an old map in the field right next to Nick’s house. We couldn’t. It had probably been ploughed into oblivion. And then we had a beer while Nick cooked ramen. What a day! 

The next day I had a train at lunchtime, no no time for adventures. I did sneak out of the house shortly after 7 to go for a short slow run. I wanted to be careful with my ankle! But it was nice to get some fresh air and morning skies. And I did my full set of morning exercises before anyone else woke up. I brought Nick coffee in bed. And not much later we set off for Shrewsbury for brunch. We were feeling fancy! And Shrewsbury is very old and pretty. I’ll take pictures next time we’re there. 

The sun came up at the end of my run

Another successful visit! Stay tuned for more. 



No comments: