16 September 2009

A taste of married life

When I came home from Iceland I did not come home to an empty house. Or rather, I did, because Maria had been elsewhere and came home later than me, but I did not come back into a house solely inhabited by me. Which was nice! The house is a conspicuously cosy one, and especially after the dump I had lived in so far the effect of that was not lost.

I have lived there now for over a week. It's a girls' world. Me, Maria and Rosa. And it's good! I notice how unaccustomed I am to living with other people. I tend to just workaholic away into the evening. And greet any social opportunity that pops up. And now there's suddenly someone at home to have breakfast with (even though mostly I'm gone before the other ladies wake up), someone who cooks for me or that I cook for, and to chat up about the adventures of the day. It's great! I might very well have a hard time getting used to living on my own again. But it's strange to have to check with the homefront if people unexpectedly invite me for a beer. I feel like a husband! I already jokingly refer to Maria as my wife, something that has caused its share of confusion.

Tonight things change: Roland will return. Good! And then I will most likely have the rest of the working week at their welcoming household, and then I'll turn into a student again... I'll report! It has been an educative yet lovely time. Maybe one day I'll get the hang of real married life...

No comments: