10 September 2009

House updates

I was a bit restless on the way back from Iceland. I expected news from the movers! Theoretically they could already be approaching the metaphoric city gates. And I would have had no idea. And in the meantime the letting agency was phoning me and kicking my butt in order to get the rental agreement finalised. Which, by the way, will take a while: I can't get the key before they have received my deposit, which came from my Norwegian bank account, so that can take a while. So in that sense it's good the movers are not near yet: I couldn't let them in... but I expect they key somewhere next week. Getting the key, and a contract, will by the way allow me to acquire a bank account. Could come in handy!

Freshly back in Plymouth, around the storing of the samples, I checked my email. And the most recent update was: week 39. Bummer. But what can you do. It's still before the next field trip. If it stays week 39 and is not delayed again.

Maria was very reassuring and said I could stay for as long as I wanted. That's sweet! but if I indeed have to stay weeks I might feel I am overstaying my welcome anyway. And if it really takes long I would not have my stuff before Roland and Maria get several visitors. And then I should be off; these visitors, I assume, deserve all the free space there is. I can just do the same trick as I did in Norway: just beg around for a mattress, a sleeping bag, some camping pots, pans and other dishware, and a chair, and then I can wait for my own stuff in the new house. It's a bit basic but it's not too bad. But we'll see. I look forward to hearing the long-awaited call from the movers that the lorry has left Oslo... or even better: that they have passed London. Then I finally will have a real indication of when they come!

No comments: