05 October 2024

More bridge news

When I bike from home to the main campus, I often take the bike path. Close to where it ends on the outskirts of Bangor, it goes over two streams. There were narrow bridges there. A long time ago, the council decided they needed work. This distal part of the path then closed, obviously. With the bridges gone, the path doesn’t work. 

It took a lot longer than planned! I think it should initially have been finished in 2023, but that clearly didn't happen. And when it still wasn't finished in spring, when teaching stopped, I had a lot less reason to use that path. Outside term time I am not in Bangor very often. But teaching has obviously started again, and one day I decided to take the bicycle path to get to the main campus. This is not the most direct route, but it is the one that gets you to Bangor while avoiding the road practically all the way. And I suddenly noticed the fences were gone, and the path was accessible again, all the way to the end.

I was keen to see the new bridges. And not only were they in good nick, but they were at least twice as wide as they had been! I can’t find pictures of how narrow they were, though. But the change is good, as they had been bottlenecks. Overtaking, or meeting people coming the other way, was always a bit of an issue there. But no more!

First bridge

Second bridge

I also realised that probably meant the Bangor 10k would go over them. The first time I had done the race, it went over the old bridges, and last year it had to avoid that bit of the route. But now we could go back to the original route, and we would have all the space in the world! I don't know when the work was actually finished, but I am glad it is. I'm sure I'll be taking that route on a regular basis in the coming months!

No comments: