19 October 2024

Physiotherapist again: now for ankle

It was almost becoming a habit: hot-tailing it to the physio after any race. First when my iliotibial bands couldn’t cope with the Snowdonia half marathon, then when they still couldn’t cope with the Caernarfon half marathon, and now because my ankle didn’t like any of my running since probation, and that included the Bangor 10k

The physio did the usual thing of asking me to stand and lift and hop and suchlike until he had an idea. Then he made me sit down and had a feel of the actual ankle. And soon he squeezed underneath the bony bit of the outside of my ankle and I yelped. Found it! It was the peroneal tendon. 

He said I could run with that. But he would give me some strengthening exercises. He also explained why it might not have complained during a race but instead the next morning.

My morning routine is now very long! I might want to consider getting up 15 minutes earlier. I still have my upper body strength exercises, core strength exercises, olde ankle exercises, old and new knee exercises, and now new ankle exercises to do. All in all that is quite a lot! And I suppose I can't complain because there are plenty of people my age who couldn't have such an ego-boosting running career, but I must say, trying to keep your body performing at that level at this age is quite a lot of work…

No comments: