18 January 2024

Walnut trees: all gone

After deciding that I wanted to get rid of my walnut trees I had taken the small, and thus easy, one down. That left the big difficult one. But one Saturday its fate was sealed. I grabbed spade and axe and went for it. 

How it started 


I didn’t expect too much resistance. The other one had been so easy! So I set to work. I dug a hole around it, and chopped off any roots I came across, sooner or later the tree will end up loose, and you can lift it out. 

The other tree had taken me half an hour. This one took 1.5 hours, but that was with a break for brushing my teeth. Not bad!

How it ended 


Tim happened to be there too, and he was happy with the change of scenery, so he came into the garden as well, and together we cut the branches into bits. I’ll do the trunks later. In a year or two this will be firewood! Good timing as well; I had just finished burning the wood that had come off the Buddleia. I hadn’t expected that to be any good, but it was fine! And this walnut wood will be even better.

The branches are now firewood; the trunks will follow 



In the end this was a very elaborate and expensive way to get some firewood. But one lives and learns! 

No comments: