10 January 2024

Walnut tree: one down, one to go

I had decided months ago that I had made a calculation error when I planted two walnut trees in my garden. They would get too big! So even though this is not something that is encouraged in our day and age, I had to remove them again. And I was waiting for a convenient moment. And one weekend it came.

I decided to start with the small one. I had hoped I would be able to dig that one out in such a way it would still be viable. I didn't think that would be possible with the big one! 

I got to work with my spade. It wasn't much work to make it sway quite a lot. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised; at some point the wind had tilted it, and I had to support it. But swaying and being completely detached are different things. I made some progress, but came across some roots that were too thick to chop through with my spade. So I got my axe and used that for these. Not good for the tree, but I really didn't think I could take it out with these roots and all.

How it started 

How it ended

In half an hour I had sorted it! I figure that is really fast. And I just leaned the tree against the bathroom. I could chop that to firewood later.

I never had the idea that I could remove the other one in such a way I would keep it alive. But seeing that the small one only took half an hour gives me the idea that it should be possible to dig the other one out as well. I had wondered if I would have to content myself with just sawing it off. But I don't think so! It's just that the weekend was already over before I got around to it. I instead prioritised pruning my other trees. That really needs to be done in winter. With this tree it is slightly less crucial when it is done. I hope I still manage this month! But we'll see… 

No comments: