24 May 2024

No more Study Skills Centre support in dissertation module

When I took over the dissertation module from a colleague who retired, I had a lot of work on my hands. Not only was there the usual admin of sorting out a module; it had also been decided that the students should get a statistics practical. And I do not work in a branch of science that is very heavy on statistics. So I was a bit out of my depth.

The good thing of working at a university is that if you are not knowledgeable on a certain topic, there are probably people around who are. And the university has a study skills centre. A lot of their work is dealing directly with students; if these have a question about scientific writing or maths or something like that, they can book an appointment. But they clearly also work for staff. So I got in touch with a lady called Rally, and she was going to help me.

In order to help me, she needed a lot of information, of course, so that already kicked me into higher gear. I didn't have a clear overview of all the statistics the students do; firstly, I had only just taken over the module, and secondly, keeping close tab on exactly what all the projects that are part of the module entail is hardly part of the brief. And after an overview of all the statistics the students use, she also wanted example data.

I also have made sure to always be there for the practical. She leads it, and I try to answer questions. Sometimes I pass a question onto someone else if I don't have a clue, but at least I know what's going on. And I think that is a good thing. And I was right.

Suddenly, after this year's practical, I received an email from one of Rally’s colleagues. They we were going around with the hat for a goodbye present. Rally had resigned! Oh dear! That was disconcerting. She is really lovely, and it will be a pity to not have her around anymore, but now I also was stranded with my statistics practical. Would anyone take her place? So I emailed her manager, and he said that they could no longer help me with this. I was on my own now.

I suppose I can do one of three things now. The easiest is to just bin the practical. The second easiest (if it works) is to convince one of my more statistical colleagues to step in and help. And the third is to step up my own game and do it myself.

At the next suitable occasion, I will see if there is anyone who would be willing to join me in this. It would reassure me. It would be a bit silly to bring me up to the statistics level of a particularly statistical biologist, when I will never be one. So if I could find the combination of the second and third option, that would be ideal. I have to teach statistics in Welsh anyway, so I already do more than I used to, and I had stepped up my game for my Masters project. I can keep stepping up a bit! And design the bulk of a practical. But it would be good if I would have a colleague by my side who can also deal with the more esoteric nuances. 

We have a whole array of new lecturing staff; right now even the last appointee has been announced, and will arrive in July. And I have already met two ladies who recently started, and who moved in from abroad. It's nice to see our team grow! But anyway; I'm sure some of them are quite statistically knowledgeable. And at the moment, they don't have much of a teaching load yet. I hope I can rope one of these in! But it looks like I will be doing a fair amount of statistics, in Welsh or otherwise, this summer…


No comments: