24 November 2023

Wall rebuilding

I am sure I set a trend! Last year, I had a dry stone retaining wall in my garden taken down and built back up, but this time, as a wall with cement. I hope it is now ready for the coming centuries again.

A while ago, I was on main campus, and there was work going on! An old retaining wall above Pontio was being rebuilt. I felt a connection.

Wall one: uphill from Pontio (left)

Then there were rumours that the little street my office building would be closed for several weeks. I didn't know why, but I suspected that would cause some serious traffic problems.

Closure announced. The culprit wall on the right.


I have now found out why it is closed. There is a wall there that bulged a bit! And the university decided to have it torn down and rebuilt. Everyone is at it now!

The good news is, though, I haven't spotted any traffic chaos. Nor have I heard anyone complain about it. So I think the new one-way system they have designed to get cars off our little campus back onto the through road has worked.

Rebuilding in action 


So what’s the message? There isn’t much of one. Everyone has a new wall, that should outlive me, and it was all done with little nuisance! If only everything was that simple. 

No comments: