19 October 2023

New cake competition

In July, we had had the final of that academic year’s cake competition. And Susan won! So I assumed there would be a new competition the year after, in which she could defend her title. But soon rumours appeared about nobody wanting to organise it. I was already resigned! But then last year’s organisers used their charms to rope Susan in, and the competition was back on. I immediately signed up. And soon after the start of the academic year, it started again. I missed the first round, but was baking in the second. 

I had had a wild idea to bake a chocolate and pear cake, and use food colouring to make the cake black and the pears red. It would be Friday the 13th! But the first round already had a cake like that (sans the food colouring) so I had to rethink. And went with tahini-banana cake. Vegan tahini-banana cake. I had not made it before! 

I really wanted to do vegan baking, for two reasons: one is my vegan colleague who really likes cake, and the other is that I am well aware we should step away from animal products for environmental reasons (and also reasons of animal welfare, although in that regard, one egg is certainly not another egg. Environmentally, I think they are much more similar). And if I can manage to bake a vegan cake in which people don't miss the animal products, then maybe I am spreading the word that that is totally doable. And maybe people will follow! In our school, everyone should be well aware of the climate emergency.

The previous time I had done that I had lost. But this was another chance! 

I had to bake it in a bit of a hurry; it had to be done the evening before, but we also had a cave rescue committee meeting then. Luckily, this was online. That saves time! And I managed to have it finished before the meeting started.


The next morning Susan came to pick it up. I don't want to transport my entries by bike, but I couldn't travel with her as I was going to be on the main campus all afternoon. This solved the issue. The cake just went with her and I followed on bike!

I was competing against a ginger cake. I have entered with ginger before! I quite like ginger cake. And I liked this one. I had no idea how this would pan out. And our vegan was absent…


An hour or so later the results came in. I had won! I was excited. It was of course good for my ego, but I think it also means everyone who voted for me now knows vegan cakes can be even better than non-vegan cakes. Maybe they already knew it, but I hope I made a few people see the light!

And now I need to get mentally ready for the second round. Could I pull it off again? Stay tuned!


No comments: