29 October 2022

Lots of Bridge confusion

On Friday morning, everything was normal. By Friday afternoon, the bridge was closed to all traffic. By the evening, it had reopened for pedestrians. And on Monday all was well! So on Tuesday I got ready to bike to work. I did a quick email check before I left. And I had an email from a colleague who also travels by bike, over the bridge, and she said someone had tried to stop her crossing the bridge. They had also confessed they had no authority to do so, so she had crossed it anyway, but she mentioned that it seemed that people were barricading the bicycle paths. It sounded like it was closed again! Or at least closing. I quickly changed my mind and car shared to work. But when we drove past the bridge on the way back, we could see people crossing it, so it seemed to be open again. It was difficult to keep track!

The next day I had to teach in Bangor, so I biked there. And after my lecture I chanced it. I headed for the island. And all was well! I could cross the bridge without incident.

I hope it just stays open for pedestrians all the time they will need to repair the bridge! By all accounts, it is the hangers that need replacement, and I suppose they can just replace them on one side first, and then on the other side next, which always leaves one pedestrian footpath available for those who need it. It would be quite unfortunate if we can't cross it at all! And if that were to happen, you are guaranteed to read about it here…



No comments: