08 October 2022

Energy supplier making me jump

My August energy bill had made me grumpy. I finally had my solar panels working, but I was paying as if I didn't! So I contacted my energy provider. They finally snapped into action and gave me a smart meter. So I was looking forward to the September energy bill. That would be the first one that would actually reflect my new situation! I hoped it would be low.

One day in the office I received the email from my provider that my bill was ready. So I grabbed my phone and checked the app. I was hoping to see a rather low number! But when I clicked on my energy bill I almost had a heart attack. I had been paying a few tens of pounds in the recent months. But now I was staring at an astonishing amount: £4700. Strangely enough it was for not one but several months, but it still shouldn’t be anywhere near that high.


Not what one wants to see


I dropped whatever I was doing and phoned my energy provider. Quite soon I had someone on the phone, and I rather concisely told them I had seen my new energy bill, and that it was wrong. Luckily, the lady saw my point.

She explained to me where that number of £4700 came from. She said that was the amount over the entire period of May 2018 to September 2022. No idea why they felt the need to send me that! I had been paying my energy bill consistently over that entire period. But the fact that she explained to me that this was indeed the bill over several years, and I was not expected to pay that, reassured me. Then the whole rationale of sending me a bill like that became less important. My actual bill, as in the part I am expected to actually pay, was only £58. That was a lot more reasonable!

I suppose they did this because of the new meter. And I expect the next energy bill to be just a normal monthly bill again. Of a normal magnitude. I hope opening the bill will just be a fairly uneventful thing to do, after two months in which I found it a little bit too exciting!


No comments: