13 October 2022

Fridge getting old

One day I just wanted to open the fridge, but when I did so, the top hinge gave. That was a bit annoying! And I couldn't really do anything about it as I was about to have dinner guests, and we would go a concert that night. I just made do for that evening.

Oh dear

The day after, though, I figured I should do something about it quickly. I had seen that the hinge is basically a metal pin in a plastic socket, and over the years the socket had become brittle. Understandably so! I had bought that fridge second-hand in 2009, so it certainly had time to suffer some wear and tear. But the door had two sets of hinge sockets. And given the location it stands, it doesn't really matter if it opens towards the left or the right. So if I just put the metal pin in the other socket I was probably good for another 10 years or so! And I didn't expect that to be of a lot of work. And it wasn't; I got it done before breakfast. 

Initially, the fridge wouldn't really close well that way around. I decided to solve that the Bethesda way; I just leaned a big piece of slate against it. That kept the door properly closed and sealed! But as I hoped; it seemed to be a question of getting used to, so after about a day I could remove the piece of slate again, and the door would still properly close. I have a totally functional fridge again! I suppose I should also take steps to improve my oven situation. The kitchen is not in a particularly good state visually (ideally, I would have the kitchen cabinet doors replaced), but it would be nice if at least all appliances worked!


The repair before it fully sank in

No comments: