10 October 2022

Another nemesis for the cat

My poor old cat is the softie of the neighbourhood! The cat of the lady who lives at number 14 reigns supreme. She is not a big cat, but she has loads of attitude; something my cat is clearly lacking. I think the nadir of their relationship came when the other cat, whom I call Nemesis, sneaked into my house when the door had been open for some reason, and was bullying my poor little cat in her own home. Even on the top floor, which is as far away from the cat flap as you can possibly get!

Stand-off with Nemesis 

I know they sometimes fight. But the most recent interactions I have seen were generally Nemesis being outside, making sure she is seen, while my cat is growling near the cat flap. Sometimes they fight through the actual cat flap! And it normally ends with Nemesis ostentatiously marking her territory with my cat looking on.

One morning I was just doing my morning routine, when I heard the familiar growling. I looked into the conservatory, expecting to see Nemesis lurking around. But there was a different cat there! A mysterious white cat I had never seen in the neighbourhood, but about whom I had heard some rumours on the village Facebook group. 

Eyeing up another rival! 

I thought it was a bit sad! She already has one bully lurking around; she doesn't need another one. And it is not as if all cats behave like this; another man I consider a neighbour, Don, has a cat who is as much a scaredy-cat as my own, and these seem to be able to hang out peacefully together, preferably on the wall that separates our gardens. So there is no need for hostility.

I don't know where this white cat lives, or if he (?) is here to stay. To be honest, I hope not! But if so, it is really time that my little cat learns to stand up for herself!

No comments: