07 August 2024

Wild swimming with Kate - again

Kate would be in the country again. She gave a shout that she was going to come to Wales with a friend so she could introduce her to wild swimming. Maybe I wanted to join some of that? And it sounded good, but it was also at the same time as my cousin being here, so I was not going to join all of it. Especially not as the first day they would go into Llyn Padarn, and I'm not a great fan of that lake. Even though I had been in it that same Thursday. But that was more because it was right there. If you actually travel somewhere in order to go swimming, there are better places.

The second day they would either do the Watkin pools (along the Watkin Path), or Llyn Dinas. I was hoping for the former, even though that would mean getting up quite early. Parking at the start of any of the routes up yr Wyddfa (Snowdon) fills up really quickly in summer. Especially in the weekends.

On Saturday evening I got a message. It would be Watkin pools! And we organised the transport. We would both drive to Capel Curig, and car share from there. And after the swim we would go to Beddgelert and meet Kate (the other one). 

I made sure I had a lot of hot water in my bag, and coffee powder, and cake, and some emergencies sandwiches, and, of course, a towel and sandals. And I found a parking space in Capel Curig. Kate picked me up, and introduced me to her friend L’chelle. When we drove past Plas y Brenin we saw that the Snowman Triathlon was underway. Oops! That parking space must have been a small miracle.

When we got to parking at the start of the Watkin Path there also was still space. So soon we were walking up the hill. We didn't have to go far! We even overshot our goal a bit. We got to the wide bridge near Gladstone Rock, but that is further upstream than the pools. So we went down a bit again. And settled in a pool just underneath some big mining ruins. I suppose these are not the official ball, but we didn't care. We got out of our hiking clothes and/or into our swimming outfits.


As far north as we went

Downhill view from our swimming spot 

Uphill view of our swimming spot; notice the well-camouflaged mine building 


It was a bit cold, but nothing drastic! I was happy to have a little swim and take some pictures. We all three had a good time. And then we got out and got back into our hiking gear. I suppose the actual swimming had only been a few minutes! But that was fine with me.

Watery fun

We decided to have some coffee and cake on a nearby rock, and then we went back to the car. We parked a bit outside Beddgelert and walked in. We just wanted to head into the souvenir shop (Kate and L’chelle wanted to buy a birthday present for a mutual friend) when Kate appeared. And when the present has been bought we decided we would walk in the direction of Pont Aberglaslyn. 

The path to Pont Aberglaslyn; pic by Kate

Happy walkers

We just walked the same way back, and then wanted to have lunch in the village. Kate and Kate suggested the venue. I'm not sure if that was the best choice! It took absolutely forever to order, and the food was unspectacular. Oh well. After that we just went for ice cream. Beddgelert is very good for that! The parlour did not disappoint.

Then we said goodbye to Kate, got back to the car, got back to Capel Curig, and there I said goodbye to other Kate and L’chelle. I think the next time we will meet will be in Yorkshire, where Kate lives nowadays. The idea is that later this year, Kate and I will go up to visit her there. I think that would be good!

No comments: