11 August 2024

Eye test

I've had glasses since I was 16, and my prescription hasn't changed much since. Over the years, however, I have had the feeling that my right eye has been deteriorating significantly. So far, eye tests never corroborated that. Fortunately, I suppose! Maybe I am just being a drama queen. After all; I still use my prescription sunglasses that I bought in 2008 without problems.

My normal glasses are a bit more recent, although I can't really remember when I bought these. I already lived in Wales, but that doesn't narrow it down very much. I don't wear them much, though. In the unlikely case I go to the cinema or theatre I will bring them, and I like wearing them when I drive in the dark. I also often pop them on if I drive somewhere new, and I want help with reading street name signs and suchlike.

My most recent purchase in this area was a pair of reading glasses I bought four years ago. I'm glad I bought them; sometimes want to see things up close and then I need them. If I have a splinter in my finger, for instance. Looking at these from a distance doesn't do much good. But I can't look at that sort of thing anymore without help.

My glasses in chronological order 

As it is now summer and it is easier to fit things in, I booked an eye test. And it turned out that my right eye had indeed deteriorated a bit. Not by much! It had gone from -1.25 to -1.75. Still not particularly bad. And it's actually quite good at close-ups. And my left eye still hasn't changed much in the last 30 years. It is now considerably better at the distance than the right eye, but can't keep up close by. I have one shortsighted and one farsighted eye! In a way, that is a blessing. I can still see everything; just not with both eyes at the same time. And that feels a bit asymmetric at times. But I suppose there are worse things in the world.

Apart from the deterioration of my right eye, the optician confirmed that otherwise, all is well. No signs of any health problems in either of my eyes. Good! And given that I rarely wear glasses I will keep the ones I have now. Yes, I would have sharper vision with a new pair, but I don't think it's worth it yet. But I'm glad I've been keeping an eye on things. Pun intended!

No comments: