11 January 2024

Unexpected visitor

I had just written in my year overview that Dave had left my life altogether, back in May. And then suddenly he hadn't! I had realised a while ago that at the time I had given him a house key. He clearly didn't need it anymore, and I would like it back. I had not really acted on that; I had thought I could bring it up next time I would meet him. But who was I kidding? As if I would think of that. And he would obviously not have it on him. So that would be a bad idea!

I decided that an elegant way of bringing the topic up would be to just send him a New Year's card. I was a bit late for a Christmas card. So one nice day I just designed a running route that went past his house (that is not difficult) and dropped the card off, in which I wished him a happy New Year, and asked if he would be willing to drop the key through my letterbox some day. And I said he would be welcome to knock and see if I would be home. If so I could make him a cup of tea. Since we stopped dating I hoped we would end up on tea drinking terms. So far that clearly hadn't happened.

That night I got a WhatsApp message back. He said he had completely forgot about the key. And he said he had also borrowed a book from me. I had forgot about that! And he said he might drop them off. When was convenient? And I suggested the very next day. And that was convenient for him. So in two days we went from no contact at all to having a cup of tea together.

When he was on his way again he said I would be welcome to come and have a cup of tea at his place as well, if I was ever around. So maybe this could be the new normal. I hope so!

My stuff back



No comments: