19 January 2024

Using the new saw for real

I had had a trial session with the mitre saw in the old year, but that was just to figure out how it worked. And I had also decided I should change the blade. For now I am only cutting firewood, and the neighbour had said that I should use a coarse blade for that, while I had bought it from him with a fine blade in position (he had given me the coarse blade as an accessory). And I had managed to change the blade over the holidays, but I hadn't found time to actually start sawing. But after I had brought Tim back home again after a weekend that featured walnut tree murder and dinner in Voltaire, I did have a go. 

Crikey that thing is fast! I have some rather chunky wood, inherited from Neuadd Ogwen, and it is really quite an effort to saw through it by hand. The mitre saw goes through it like a hot knife through butter. I will not have to worry about either running out of firewood, or about having the garage clog up with uncut firewood. Just an hour with that thing really produces a lot of stove-ready pieces. And, therefore, frees up quite some space.

Since my well-documented pallet adventures I had gathered three more (conventional size or smaller, this time, but still), and they take up a lot of space. And I still had all the wood from Neuadd Ogwen that I had removed the joist hangers from. So it was getting overly crowded in there! So on the Saturday I had demolished two pallets, and on the Sunday all that wood ended up in suitably sized pieces. This is progress!

Lots of wood! Which was getting in the way. There is a lot less now.


No comments: