27 February 2024

Big changes for the neighbour - and the cat

There are only four houses in my street. From top to bottom they are inhibited by a man I very rarely see; my direct neighbour, who runs the local chippy and whose cat is the bane of my cat’s life; then me; and then my neighbour Alan who often looks after my cat, and who has a very charming golden retriever. But suddenly all that changed.

Within the space of three days I found out that the neighbour, of the chippy, had moved out, and that she had closed the chippy. Her life must be entirely upside down! But she really deserves her retirement. She is somewhere in her mid 70s. And I think it is probably hard work!

She didn't tell me she was moving out; she was just gone. Maybe she just didn't want any fuss. But I hope she enjoys where she is now, on the other side of the village.

I am also wondering, of course, if this means my little cat’s life has just become easier. She might have a territory! And she won't be bullied out of my garden anymore! I hope it makes a big difference to her. 

The next thing that will happen of course is that we will find out who the next person in the street will be. Neighbours are important; I hope it will be someone I get along with well!

She actually sat on my lap the day I found out the other cat has gone. This is only the second time! And only now, after three years, has she sat on my lap more often than she has on Martin's!

No comments: