02 July 2023

Meeting another academic integrity officer

When I became Academic Integrity officer, I asked my predecessor if there was something like a community of people with similar functions in all the Schools of the University. It seems strange if all schools would have to invent the wheel! But he said there was no such thing. It sounded a bit like a missed opportunity.

Then one day I got an email from a lady from the School Of Natural Sciences. She was the one who held  the role of Academic Integrity officer in that school, and had heard I was her SOS equivalent. Was I interested in meeting up? And I was! 

She has a much harder task than me; her School is several times bigger than ours. And she does the job alone, just like me. She wondered if maybe I had thought of some clever ways of dealing with all that work. And I wondered the same thing about her! 

We also pondered the creation of an online resource that would remind the students of what academic integrity is, and how you could stray from it, what the implications would be, how to avoid that, and where to look for more information. We should do that together. 

We also just had a nice chat, while we were at it anyway. We quickly spotted shared acquaintances. And we told each other about our research.

It was a nice meeting. And I hope together we will manage to bring the numbers down of students we have to contact about their poor academic practice. Or even malpractice! That would be great…

No comments: