07 May 2024

Another day training in CRTT

After the not entirely successful communications training in CRTT, we were coming back to do a full scenario there. I knew it would involve pretend casualties! So I expected a long day.

It was also a sunny bank holiday weekend, so we expected it to be busy. So all controllers (both established and aspiring) were summoned to the car park by 8:30. That was just early enough! We had the very last regular parking spaces. After that, it became cowboy business. The rest of the team was expected to park further down the hill, where it is a lot quieter.

As controllers we got the briefing. Dewi had made up a message from the police, regarding two people overdue. We discussed what we should do. After a while he threw in another piece of information: the police had received a phone call from one of the two, who had made it out safely, but said his mate had fallen down a slope and was injured. That meant full team call-out! Unfortunately it was me who said it, some three times, and it wasn't heard. I suppose it was another instance of words only being heard when a man speaks them. Annoying. But we had an imaginary casualty on our hands. We needed to get moving! And Ed was nominated to be the casualty.

We got into our caving gear, and went to where all the team kit was. We always have a lot to carry! And this time, there was no Landrover to hitch a ride from. By now, the rest of the team also arrived. And we had decided how we would organise ourselves. A small team with medical expertise would rush in first. Soon after, a rigging team would follow. It wouldn’t be a simple stretcher carry out! And then the rest, with cave-links, for surface-to-casualty communications (and vice versa) .

We loaded up and started walking. It was very hot! And I was dressed for a draughty mine. It was a bit uncomfortable, but hey ho. 

When we got to the entrance, things started according to plan. The medical team went in, closely followed by a rigging team, and then the tailgaters. We had to wait for the last people to come up with the cave-links. And I had been appointed underground control, so I needed to remain close to our line of communication.

At the entrance

At the entrance 

When I walked in I noticed my lamp was temperamental. Oh dear! Because we had had to carry so much, I had hung my helmet from my harness. Bad idea! That meant it was scraping along my kit at every step, and that had clearly affected a contact. Without a light, you're not worth much underground! I was glad I had a spare light on my helmet, and with a bit of faffing I did manage to make it work. I continued.

When we had to clamber over collapses or scree slopes, I would often rub my helmet against my rather high bag. And that would make my light either go out, or to the lowest setting. Annoying! But still manageable.

After a while we heard voices. We first game across a rigging team. And not much further on we came to the scene of the accident. There was rigging going on there as well. I had look at what the situation was. Everything seems to be under control! So I set up a cave-link with Paul, and we sent a message to the surface. And soon we got one back. Communications established! That was good. But there was something weird. The messages we received did not really address what we had said. Were they getting our messages? And then it fell silent. Something was wrong! But the other teams were making good progress, and the casualty was about to be brought up the slope. And that meant we should establish a new position for our system. So we packed the whole thing up and moved to beyond next set of obstacles. That also meant we were in daylight. The mine system there reaches the surface in various places. Or in other words, there are huge holes in the ceiling. We set up the system again, but again without success. Fortunately, though, one of those who had stayed at the surface, Dave, appeared at the top of the hole, and could shout down to us. Paul even managed to get radio contact with him. That makes talking a lot easier! It turned out that they were indeed not getting our messages via cave-link, so basically shouting through the ceiling was now our best bet with regards to communicating to the surface.

It was such a pity we had lost an excellent opportunity to practice with the cave links in this system! It is clear we could have greatly benefited from it. Now the main priority was getting our casualty out. If your main priority is communications, you just sort this sort of issue out. And then we had the expert present!

With nothing to do regarding comms, we just went back to help managing the stretcher carry. I didn't have much to do with regards to underground control! All the action took place in a rather small space, and everyone had a clear task and just got on with it. 

The big challenge was that normally you just walk through a tunnel from chamber to chamber, but one of these tunnels had been blocked by a collapse. So the only way to get out was basically to clamber over the collapsed to a higher level, and then back down again on the other side of the collapse. That is quite doable as a person, but very difficult as a team carrying a stretcher. And the riggers had come up with a clever plan to circumvent this! Just haul the stretcher vertically up to the next level, and then traverse most of the chamber with all the rubble in suspended from a rope. And they made it happen.

The stretcher traversing the rope. Pic by NWCRO


While that was going on I noticed Dave, who later admitted he was getting a bit self-conscious about being observed by suspecting walkers to inexplicably be shouting down huge holes in the ground, had found the hole through which she could shout to us at this location. I couldn't really hear what he said, so I had to clamber a lot closer to him. He said the surface team hoped we would abort mission. It was getting late! And I thought we should do that after the stretcher had traversed this chamber on the rope. It would be a pity to not use it now! And I went back to the others to report this.

The riggers had actually also rigged one further pitch, to lower the stretcher down, over the rubble, to floor level. We decided to use that pitch as well, given that it was there, but then abort mission. The casualty could just have a miraculous recovery and walk the rest. That would be a lot quicker! And we made it happen.

Coming down to floor level. Pic by NWCRO 


When he got out and stretched his legs again we quickly removed all the pitches, and put all the kit associated with the stretcher back into the bags. And then we could head back! And that was mainly just one scree slope, one collapse, one incline, and then a very long tunnel before we were out in the sunshine again. Mission accomplished! And we had a little debrief in the sun. But then we went back down.

I figured it had been very useful. As I keep mentioning; if we have a callout, it is generally in this system. And this was the first time I had been on a practice where we had actually tried to get a casualty out. And we normally only encounter people who are in good health, but either don't have the equipment to come out, or can't find the exit. They are quite easy to extract! But it is likely that one day our luck will run out, and we will actually have to get an injured person out. And now we have practised!

I am afraid I have to end this post with the confession that that very night, at 1:30, we actually had a call-out; people lost in CRTT. But I slept straight through the alarm! And it turned out I hadn't been the only one. Friends suggested this might have something to do with the iPhone bug that had been on the news. I don't know! But I felt guilty for not responding. And I take my hat off to the people who responded, especially those that had already spent their entire day in this very same system! Luckily, for the actual call-out, no stretchers were needed!

No comments: