25 August 2022

Rainy picnic with Miles

There had been a time when I saw Miles almost every week. That was during the heyday of our dig. But then lockdown happened and I didn't see him for a few years. And when lockdown ended, reconnecting happened in the rather faltering way. But this year things improved. He came over for tea, we went underground, and he came over for dinner. And when we would see each other again he suggested a picnic. That sounded great! The forecast wasn't ideal but I was sure we could manage. And we met up by Idwal cottage. From there you can choose between two lakes to sit by!

I decided to combine this rendezvous with a practical issue. A long time ago I had salvaged a big tube. I figured it would make an excellent passage through an unstable part of a mine. I knew Miles had already used a similar tube in the smoke flue of Cwmorthin, when a portion of that had seen some rockfall. But the dig had been dormant for years, and I wasn't part of a greater caving unit any more. If the Thursdaynighters ever need a tube like that, they will have to find one themselves. I am, of course, still part of the caving community, but my trips are ad hoc and not likely to involve projects so big they need a tube. So I figured the best thing to do with it would be to give it to Miles, as he was the most likely person I know to have a use for it. So I tried to fit it into my little car! It sort of worked.

Big tube in small car at Idwal Cottage

We met at Idwal cottage in the rather threatening sky, but we decided to have our picnic anyway. But we stayed there; there are picnic tables at the youth hostel and from there you have a great view on mountains like Tryfan and Pen yr Ole Wen. It was lovely! Miles had brought an excellent vegetable stew and I had brought drinks and dessert. But by the time we had finished our stew it started raining. And we figured it might continue with that for a while. So we quickly packed up our stuff and retreated to my house. There we had dessert and more drinks. 


Rainy picnic

Then it was time for Miles to go home. He left with the tube in the back of his Landrover. I hope we will meet again soon!




No comments: