15 February 2024

Willow gets a haircut

We had a veritable series of storms recently, and I had noticed that a big branch of my willow tree had come down. This is not unusual, by the way; it's not the most wind-resistant tree I have ever seen. But I knew I had to sort the branch. And, of course, in a few years’ time, I would get firewood out of it!

The branch hadn’t broken off completely, so I sawed it off. And then I got carried away. I had been intending to deal with this willow, and keep it within bounds, for a while. I was there now anyway, with a saw in my hand; this was the time! And I also drew the attention of my neighbour; I wanted to know if she had any specific preferences regarding how much I took off. The tree grows on my terrain, but it reaches over their terrace. I could imagine they could be eager to keep it that way, or relieved if I would remove these bits. But the neighbour told me to do whatever I thought was right.

A while later the tree was still a tree, but half the garden was full of willow branch. I would have a bit of work on my hands to turn that into kindling and firewood! But I wouldn't have to finish it that day. And, having burnt all the Buddleia wood earlier this winter, and the walnut trees not filling up much of that space, I had plenty of space to put it in the garage.

I am still not getting anywhere with getting a professional to prettify my garden, but at least I have now tackled one of these jobs I had on the to-do list for years. I already like how it has changed that corner from an indistinguishable mass of organic material to three distinct trees: this willow tree, a cherry tree, and a blackthorn (I think; it could also be a hawthorn). So at least progress is being made!

How it started

How it's going

No comments: