And I was right. We, that is to say, 19 of us, had to be there at ten, and at about 10:30, 12 of us had our names called out. They basically made a new jury, but there was quite an overlap between the old one and the new one, including me.
Soon we went into the courtroom, and were sworn in again. And then everything went into higher gear. We heard a more detailed description of the charge, and soon we were watching the police interview of the claimant on video. (I don't think "claimant" is the proper term, but I mean the person who had gone to the police to report a crime against themselves.) The alleged offence had taken place years earlier.
After the interview we had a little convenience break. When we got back, the actual claimant was called in, to be questioned by the defence. I didn’t like that process at all. Their job is to tear chunks out of the other side. And they do. And the prosecution would tear chunks out of the defendant. I suppose that just is how this works, but it hurts to see it.
We had lunch in the middle of the process. It was gorgeous weather, and I found a bit of grass with a low wall to sit in the sun and eat my sandwiches. I was contemplating a little walk too, but I was aware I would have to get through security again, which takes time, so I didn’t.
After lunch, the process continued. When both sides had asked the claimant all they wanted to ask, we quite rapidly went through a whole lot more witnesses. One showed up in person, and of the other ones, the statements they had provided were read out. And then, suddenly, we were done for the day. Free to go! Things had really sped up. I figured the day after would probably equally speedy.
I had found out another juror lived in my town, and was coming in by bus, which takes hours, so I gave her a lift home. And the next morning I would pick her up to do it all again…

No comments:
Post a Comment