08 October 2026

Second day in court

Surely, something would happen? Probably after three hours of waiting in a stuffy room, and then an hour of lunch break, but after that, surely we would actually be reviewing some evidence in the case we were assigned to?

Caernarfon city scape, near where I parked


I appeared at 10AM, glad to see not much of a queue for security. I was through quite quickly, and could take my place in the stuffy room. I was mentally ready for being there for a few hours. I had some work I could do off-line, and got started. And I had a coffee.

The stuffy room was just as stuffy as the day before. I really don't like it. But at least the usher had mercy on us, and after a while he asked if anyone wanted to come with him to get some fresh air on the courtyard. I didn't need much encouragement! It was lovely to just pootle around for a bit.

I got into a routine. More work, more coffee, and then a second opportunity to go outside with the usher. And around 12:30, we were told we were to go into a court room again. Only for a brief while.

We found a different judge. He explained that the judge of the day before seemed to not quite have finished off a case she was expected to have finished off fine now, so she couldn't take this one on. This new judge had hoped to be available now, because there was a defendant who was expected to change their plea to guilt. That would cut their case short considerably! And free up this judge. But it hadn't quite happened yet.

Again; the defendant was present. This is very frustrating for us, but it must be a lot more frustrating for them. I know that they are accused of a crime, and that they might be guilty, and that being guilty of a crime is supposed to come with discomfort, but this seemed pointless and unnecessary. I am starting to think it might not be an exception to be dragged to a courtroom multiple times, only for precisely nothing to happen. And think as well of the victims of crime. They don’t like this hokey-kokey either.

We were marched back to the stuffy room, and after about half an hour we were let go. We were told to be back the next day at 10am again. Hopefully, something would finally happen! 

I gave a fellow juror a lift to the railway station, and then I went back to the office. I could get a bit more work done, but this time in comfort!


No comments: