20 April 2024

Ethiopian food in Tregarth

Susan has spotted that at Moel y Ci, the farm with shop and café, sometimes hosts a pop-up restaurant. She had seen an announcement of an evening where they would serve Ethiopian food. We had tried to go there, but it was cancelled due to family circumstances. We managed to book on a later iteration. And that day had come! Unfortunately we had to go with only the three of us; Martin’s plans had changed and he couldn't join us this time.

Susan picked me up. It is a bit long to walk, and they are not cyclists. On the way we passed Charlotte. And she was going the same way!

When we got to Moel y Ci we realised we didn't know where exactly this dinner would take place. Clearly not in the café! Susan looked up the instructions. They said we had to get past the café, so we started to walk in that direction. That way we bumped into Charlotte again, who told us we were going the wrong way. She had been before! That was fortuitous.

She was going to meet up with other friends, but it was nice to be able to introduce her to Sue and Dean, and vice versa. And when we got in we were pointed to a different table. Charlotte's friends were already there; at least quite a few of them.

More people came in. To my surprise, at some point, a cave rescue couple came in. Or rather; a Llanberis Mountain Rescue couple who happen to also be in the cave rescue team. They joined us! That was nice. More introductions followed.

I was quite peckish after my very windy walk earlier that day! And I also liked that I had remembered to bring some beers. I had two alcohol-free ones and a real one. They don't have an alcohol license, so you are invited to cater for yourself. So the starter and the first alcohol-free beer quickly vanished.

I hadn't had Ethiopian food since I left Amsterdam. The others had never had it. They were impressed! And I already knew what to expect. It was really good. And I could have eaten the whole thing. But I knew there was going to be a dessert, and we had also been invited to bring Tupperware for any leftovers. So I paced myself, and saved a portion for a later date.

Pic by Susan

The real beer also easily vanished. But by the time I had finished the second alcohol-free beer I had had enough beer. Good planning! 

The dessert was brownie with ice cream, and that indeed completely filled up any remaining space in my stomach. And then it was time to go home.

I had had a great time! And the others too. It seems that these evenings book up really quickly. I still hope we can do it again!

No comments: