24 July 2023

Another try at staying dry

I live in North Wales and I like the outdoors. That means I can do with a good waterproof jacket! Finding one is not easy, though. Many years ago I had gone to a good outdoor shop and said: I want a waterproof jacket. I don't care how much it costs, as long as it is properly waterproof. What they sold me, a Rab, didn't do the job.

During one Swamphike, which was quite a washout, I was walking around in a pair of salopettes I had bought secondhand, and that expensive jacket. The trousers were flawless. The jackets didn't stop anything! I got home soaked above the waist. That was not pleasant. But that told me that buying secondhand might actually get better results than buying new. And because it is cheaper, you can afford to have a few attempts.

Currently, I have an old jacket that is supposed to be waterproof that I bought new, but reasonably cheaply. I commute in that, unless things get really damp. But it is coming towards the end of its lifetime. I think I will replace it with the expensive jacket.

Then I have a jacket that I bought secondhand. It is a North Face, and more waterproof than the expensive jacket, but still not something you would confidently go into an autumnal multi-day hike with. And then I saw a more high grade North Face jacket advertised on Facebook. It was described as "very waterproof ". Of course people will say it is waterproof, but they might actually be right! The bloke who sold me the salopettes certainly was. So I took the gamble and bought it! Now all I need is a washout to try it out. I don't think I will have to wait very long…




No comments: