21 May 2011

Eve of half marathon

Eight days and counting. That’s when I will run my first race! The Plymouth Half Marathon. I look forward to it. I had been training quite a lot and all went well. And then suddenly everything went pear shaped. I had to help Rob with his field kit, herd archaeologists down confusing mines, repair bikes, clean ladders, prepare and give seminars, rescue damsels from damp caves, go wild with Roland (OK; that was not really necessary, but doesn’t this count as networking?) absorb knowledge on large mines, prepare and participate in project meetings, and sometimes try and find time to have a cup of tea with Neil. One might gather from this list that a) there wasn’t much time for running b) I was tired enough as it was without running. So with the half marathon approaching I ran more and more like a wet newspaper. Ah well. Now I can try to have a week with sufficient sleep. And a few final training runs. And then next week the denouement!
I have, in the process, turned into a running geek: I (sloppily) keep track of my runs online. And sometimes even calculate my average speed over the various runs... this one evidently was done before life got too hectic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He Margot,

Veel succes met je halve marathon. Je hebt er hard genoeg voor getraind, in de laatste week niet teveel meer doen, hoor, rust is ook een belangrijk deel van de training (echt).
Leuk dat je je routes bijhoudt, als je weer eens een keer in Nederland bent en zin hebt heb ik hier in de duinen ook nog een leuk rondje voor je om te proberen.

Grz, Nienke

Margot said...

Dankjewel! Je gaat lezen hoe het gegaan gaat zijn. En ik dacht aan nog een lief klein rondje de woensdag ervoor, en dan nog even een stukje fietsen die donderdag, en dan maar gaan op zondag! En ik dacht niet dat ik het ooit zou zeggen, maar, goed idee, rondje in de duinen als ik weer es in het land ben!