10 May 2010

Phone the newspaper: Margot goes for a run!

There’s many strange things about the English. One thing that struck me is that in daily life they tend to be fairly passive, but as soon as it concerns charity they fall over themselves running, biking and getting active in all sorts of way, all for a good cause. And there’s something charming about that.

In summer there will be a run for something, breast cancer research or something, and I wondered if I should join. It would be an excellent chance for getting a real English experience! But I was not sure. I never run! I haven’t run since I was 17. I don’t like running. But that may be exactly the point; you run for money, of course, and as everybody who knows me knows I don’t like that sort of stuff, they might actually sympathise more, and be willing to pay. If I would bike for charity nobody would take that seriously.

Anyway. I was still pondering. I had decided I should first have a trial run. Who knows what sort of trouble I get myself into if I make my old body run! But I can’t motivate myself. And then, suddenly, I was just socializing away with one of my colleagues (Little Jon, who has figured in this blog before, for instance here), when he spoke of running. Running? Jon Running? I was more used to tales of him moving from A to B with the help of some engine of sorts. And having a big pint afterwards. And then I had an idea! I asked if he would mind if I would join him. If I have a goal in the shape of someone to keep up with, I have a chance of lasting. And he didn’t mind.

Remember these shoes? Me neither!

And then it turned out it had just been my failing observation skills that had lead to me not knowing Jon was some sports hero. He seems to be much faster than Rob, our ridiculously young, tall, disciplined, fanatic PhD student! Damn what was I getting myself into. Nervously I dug out clothes that would be OK for running from underneath a thick layer of dust.

It was a wonderful day for it. So there wen went. And lo and behold, I stood my ground! I could keep up! And sometimes I had no breath left for talking, but at such moments, Jon generally didn't either. That would be the uphill bits, and then on the flat or downhill bits I got my breath back. I admire people who can do this on their own, but I'm also proud of myself that I pulled this off. Maybe I'll even do it again!

My face afterwards...

Anyway. I have checked that run against cancer. Subscription is already closed!

4 comments:

De TV-psycholoog said...

I remember the shoes! Just dug up my own pair from the attick. Sister bonding once more!

Margot said...

Yay!

marnix said...

ahahahah! Would have loved to see your face when running. But beware: running is infamous for getting injured...

Margot said...

Well, rest assured: looks like my career is short-lived. Yesterday Jon ran at times when I was already on my way to a meeting, and now he'll be off for the rest of the week. Don't think I'll find an equally suitable pacemaker in someone else...