23 August 2026

Upcoming conference in Bangor being with the times

In September, the Challenger conference will take place in Bangor. I will be involved in that; there will be field excursions, and I'm leading one of them. But this post is about something else.

I got an email from Tom, who is in charge of the whole thing, and he said that as is standard at the conference, people will be wearing badges with their name and affiliation. You normally get a card holder and a card at the beginning of the conference, generally on a lanyard. Some people have bucket-loads of these in their office, from all the conferences they have been to. And Tom and the rest of the organisation thought they could use that to the benefit of the environment. Why not reuse them? So he put out a call to the whole school to ask if people would be willing to donate their old badge holders. I think that is an amazing idea! I rummaged in my stuff and unearthed two of them. Not many, but two that don't have to be made from virgin plastic! Or even recycled plastic. 



I hope they manage to get enough of these for the whole conference. I think this is the future! Reduce, reuse, recycle. And I got some satisfaction from not having thrown these away, and even knowing where I had put them. This is the sort of thing I hope will happen if I save something like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment