It took a few months, but I have received the first student proposal for a self-designed dissertation topic! I told the students in May that they could take this opportunity. Some tumbleweed followed. But now I have had the first student give it a go. It is possible that this is the beginning of a surge. Inevitably, this surge will be at its peak just before the deadline. It tends to be like that. Not everyone will succeed.
This first student didn't have their proposal approved straight away. I had some questions that needed answering about the exact research question, and the data. But there is plenty of time to sort that out.
I hope this year will have a lovely balance between number of students that will get their own topic over the line, the amount of time I have to spend on it, and the amount of satisfaction the students get from this. One way to find out!
![]() |
| There was sea ice in this proposal |

No comments:
Post a Comment