02 August 2026

Holyhead Breakwater race 2026

I was excited about the Breakwater race. I had really enjoyed it last year, and not just because I did well and came third. I liked running on the breakwater. And the atmosphere was good.

Closer to this year's race I realised this race boosted my ego in more ways than just giving me a third prize. I had accidentally set the course record for women over 40. And that at 49.6 years old! I don't think that record will stand very long; there are some women in their 30s that are a heck of a lot faster than me, and they won't stay in their 30s forever. But it is my first course record I am aware of, and I am proud of it! Unfortunately, the course record for women over 50 is considerably faster than the record I just set for women in their 40s. So not much of a chance I'll ever manage to touch that.

 

Proud to be on that list! 

Anyway. The 2026 edition was coming. This time, Neil was going to support me. We drove to Holyhead together. Obviously, there were a lot of people there I knew. And I saw Anna, an Eryri star runner, was back. She had had a child only 2 months earlier. Husband and kid were there too, to support (or be quite oblivious to what all of it meant, in the case of the baby). I also managed to squeeze in a toilet visit and a brief warmup.

It would soon be clear that this year would be different from last. There was more wind, and with that there were bigger waves. And these were crashing over the breakwater, especially towards its end. And it has a barrier on the outside, but if you get caught by a wave coming from that direction it might wash you off the other side where there is no such thing. So the organisation had decided to only make us go to the last bend in the structure. They would position a marshal there, that we would have to run around. This would make it a 4 mile race rather than a 5 mile specimen. 

The Breakwater on the day

We lined up for the start, and off we were. I trundled off in my standard fashion. No need to exhaust oneself at the start. But after a while I realised I was not too far from Emma. Last year, she won it. Being close to her surely meant I was doing well! I also saw Tony unusually close. 


The startline

When we got to the breakwater I was still slowly gaining on them. I noticed my speed was very high. I was doing 15 km/h, which is Race the Train speed. But it felt ok, so I didn't slow myself down. 

By that time, the first runners had reached the turnaround point and were coming back the other way. Anna was the woman in the lead! Amazing. She is back with a vengeance. And then I saw a girl I did not recognise. And then there was only Emma. I was in 4th position! If I am, I always try to wrestle my way to the podium. I overtook Tony, and then I overtook Emma. What was going on?

I made the turnaround myself and then got the wind in my face. That explained my speed on the way out. My run back surely would be slower. And I noticed Emma was close behind me. I would have to watch her! She might very well just hang back for a bit and then overtake me at any stage before the finish.

Beside Emma I had another worry: the waves. On the way out I had stayed dry. It looked like on the way back I would not be so lucky. And indeed, I got hit by spray twice. It wasn't dangerous, but it does mean getting a face full of saltwater. Not ideal!

By the time I came off the breakwater, Emma was a reasonable distance behind me. Then in front of me was some bloke. If I would just keep a reasonable speed up now, I would come third. So I tried to do that, and it looked like it was working. Emma didn't approach.

On Beach Road

Almost at the finish


I stormed over the finish and got my medal from Louise's daughter. And I really needed to catch my breath. I was tired! Neil found me quickly and was very proud. I quickly reached for the water bottle I knew he had in the outside compartment of his bag. I had another one of those instances like I had in Deganwy, where I felt like I might throw up if I wouldn't quickly get some water into my system. So I emptied the bottle but then I was fine. Neil was distracted by a very handsome dog. 

I cheered on some runners coming in behind me, and then I went to get my recovery drink. Runners were coming in thick and fast, and we wouldn't have to wait very long for the presentation. They had the same trophies as last year. I like them. They gave the first three men their trophies and then took a picture of all three of them. I hoped they would do the same with the women. Unfortunately, Anna, who had indeed won, had felt the need to go home with the baby. So it was only a picture of silver and bronze lady. A pity! And silver lady was running in the under 18 category. If she wants to keep this going, can you imagine how good she will be in her 20s!

Bronze and silver female and a representative of the sponsor 

It turned out there also was a team prize, for the fastest two men and two women from a club. And Eryri won, with Josh Keogh, Ian Edwards, Anna and me doing the job. We won a box of beer. Anna and Josh don’t drink, so it was all for Ian and me. 

Three quarters of the winning team 

After the race presentation there was the regional presentation. I got a gold medal for being the fastest F50+. And then we could all go home. 

I had done it in 25:50, which made it my fastest race ever, after Race the Train, at 14.4 km/h. Wow! There is still progress in these old legs!

No comments: