28 September 2026

Pre-academic year rush

It being the week before the start of term, the mad rush was on to get everything ready. I had done quite some work on my module websites, but they weren’t finished. And I had to update one of our student guides; the one on academic integrity, as it so far didn’t have artificial intelligence in it. The person who had the editable file had been on unpaid leave for a year, so we could only really finish it after she came back. But either way; I had to finish that and published it. And I still had things to organise for when I am off on my jury service. And I had to prepare the first batch of lectures I would give. And get all the dissertation topics ready for the students (who don’t create their own), with a corresponding form in which they list their preferences.

None of this was helped by being quite under the weather. I had felt a bit iffy on Saturday night, and had gone racing on Sunday anyway. Before and during the race I felt amazing! But at night I was quite knackered, and the next morning I woke up with quite some extensive need for handkerchiefs. I did go to work, as I was still in denial about this actually being a medical condition and a contagious one at that, but one of my colleagues on the same corridor was not fooled. So I went home, and stayed there for the next two days. That helped! But I had a lot of cotton wool in my head these days.

Did I get any work done on my application? No! The next deadline is mid December. Will I make that? Questionable! But not impossible. But let's get through that first week first. And then see how the jury service pans out. And then I'll know a bit more…

No comments:

Post a Comment