12 August 2026

Having my garden shored up

When I saw that there were people working on my neighbours’ collapsed wall I went to have a look. I had a nice chat with a guy that seemed to be the leader of the pack. I was surprised that they seemed to be comfortable working on the riverbank, bringing all the cement they needed in a wheelbarrow over the uneven riverbank from just outside Alan’s house. I suppose for their work it was good that it was a dry month. There was a little threat of them getting their feet wet while doing that work. 

Neighbours’ wall rebuilt! 


I also spoke with this guy about the bit of my garden wall that is directly adjacent to the wall they are repairing. When I bought the house, it already looked very unstable. It still does. And who knows; it might still hold up for decades, but it could just as well collapse tomorrow. I feel a bit cautious when I'm in the corner of the garden above it.

Looks rickety


I hadn’t had a lot of faith that I would find anyone willing to take the job shoring that part of the wall up, given the difficulty with access. But these guys had already made this location their workshop. They were clearly ok with it!

I asked the guy to give me a quote. He did that, and I accepted. I don't know if he is going to do that straight after the work for the neighbours. It would be efficient. But either way; I am glad this is in the pipeline now. I have been feeling a lot better about the wall underneath my extension since that was made more stable, and I am sure I will feel a lot better about this situation as well, after that wall will look like it is actually resting on something!

No comments:

Post a Comment